Monday, August 20, 2012

Dadhood one year later.

Being a Dad.  The best job in the world.

As I look at the past year of my life, remembering all of the moments of Luke's first year, I can only stand in awe of our God.  The moment he was born, something changed in me that will never be the same.  I can't really define that "that" thing is, but I know my entire being changed.  Just like it did when it was the day of our wedding, only different.  I guess it brought me a whole new understanding of God that I couldn't fully grasp before.



Rolling. Crawling. Walking.... Dadda.

Milestones are crazy.  You sit and watch your kiddo do the funniest things.  Of course, they're the funniest things to us, then shared on Facebook, and of course some people wonder if we'll need counseling for "oversharing" pictures.  But the crazy part is, we knew he'd roll, crawl, walk and eventually will talk in understandable words other than "momma", "dadda", "dog" and "ball".

Is this not a picture of our relationship with our Father??  How many times do we wonder if we'll ever get past this or that struggle, mature in our walk with God, stop this or that?  Each time we do, God already knew we were going to.  Yet the angels still celebrate with him that we took that step in our lives!  What does that celebration look like?  I don't think there's a Facebook in Heaven, but I'll bet that celebrations with God are millions of times better than text/pics/video on a broken website.

Routines. Something I never had.

Before Luke, Rach and I didn't have much of a routine.  I certainly didn't.  Spur of the moment was much, much more common for us.  She is a planner, so things like vacations and weekends still had a structure of sorts, but nothing like now.  I feel like an Olympian when we only take 5 minutes to pack up and get out the door.  

Bedtime has become my favorite.  We both understand that he likes us to both help put him down.  We've given him a bath together for the entire first year, minus an occasional Rangers playoff game of course.  Luke understood those nights that dad had to be at Granddad's watching our Rangers.  But my favorite part of everyday is praying with Luke.  He knows I'll read the same exact story - Goodnight Moon - then we pray.  My prayer is everything from something small to something so serious as his salvation when he's older.  

Be there.  That's what stuck with me.

Pretty much everyday for the last 5 months, I've been able to come home for lunch and hang out and play with Luke.  Hanging with him for an hour before work and another few hours in the evening has been awesome as well.  Helping start a technology company has run in tandem with this time.  But I heard something a long time ago that stuck with me.  "If you can't help and manage your household, nothing else really matters".  Pretty simple, yet profound.

God has blessed us with so much in Luke's first year.  I know everything will continue to change, both in Luke and around him as well.  Culture will continually change.  But if we lead by Biblical examples and help Luke see the love that God has for him in Christ, he'll have a rock for a foundation.  Both of our parents did that for us and I can only hope that in everything we do, he sees our love for him and then the even deeper love that God also has for him.


Until next year...

No comments:

Post a Comment