Wednesday, July 29, 2009

The Greatest Trade in History

If you enjoy baseball, you know that the Trade Deadline is this week. That's where the idea of this post came from. Have you ever traded anything before? I have. Some are great trades, some are not so great of a trade.

I remember when the Rangers have made horrific trades in the past. It's almost comical. I think they'd receive Worst Management of the Year if there was that award a few years back. They traded talent for up-and-coming talent that never materialized. I wasn't a fan.

A few years back, I traded in my Chevrolet S-10 pickup for a sportier Pontiac coupe. I was pretty excited, mainly because the truck was pretty beat up and didn't have A/C (although it was only 3 years old). What I hate about it is that I still have to pay for it. It's just part of the deal, part of life.

Have we ever been able to trade something of ours and get something that's so much better without "owing" anything? I remember when we traded Alex Rodriguez and we actually had to pay part of Rodriguez' salary for the next few years! Who does that???

What's the purpose of a trade? It's basically when a team says "These players of mine are great right now, but you've got something that's better for me in the future." It happens every year.

The video below talks about the greatest trade in the history of man. We are able to trade our lives, as worthless and selfish as we are, for an eternal life with the creator of the universe, the very one who enables us to live every day. We can put all of our sins, all of our ways, on the cross and give God our life, knowing that His way is so much better than ours.

Untitled from The Village Student Ministry on Vimeo.



Most trades are like this: Accept this awesome product and I'll take your awesome product. The trade with God is like this: We put all of our ways at the cross, accepting Christ as our Savior, and we become a new creation. We don't work really hard at being something so that we can get to God, no, we get to God by understanding that Christ is better than us, that we are a new creation in Him. We don't wait until we're "in our prime", no, we come as a worthless sinner who wants Christ to show us the Way. And unlike trading for a car, the only thing we can repay Him with is by worshipping Him. We cannot buy our way into it, we can only thank God for the gift of life, for the forgiveness of our ways through Christ. We worship him through every aspect of our lives by submitting to him in everything we do.

It truly is the greatest trade in history.

1 comment:

  1. That is awesome analogy...I never thought about comparing the trade deadline to our salvation, but it is so true...and very thought provoking. As I wait for Friday night and Saturday morning to approach, I will continually think about this, and what Jesus did on the cross for us. Very awesome indeed...

    ReplyDelete