Monday, July 6, 2009

What is your legacy?

How will we be remembered? That's a haunting question. I don't like to face tough questions, but I can't get rid of this one. Think back to your great great great grandfather. Do you remember his name? What was his favorite hobby? What was the one lesson in life he passed down to you... or did he pass one down at all?

It's amazing to me that we are so wrapped up in ourselves and making ourselves think we're so important. I often get so wrapped up in thinking that I'll be remembered for something I did. While I think that, I don't know one simple fact about my great great great grandfather. I don't even know what city he called home. The fact that I most likely will not be remembered in 70 years creeps me out.

So what's the point of all of this? I've taken a look at where my efforts are going everyday. I may not be known seventy years from now, but if I can make an impact in raising my family to know the love and message of Christ, I've done something that He'll remember. I suspect that's something that my great great great grandfather might have done, but only God alone knows if it's true.

I can spend my life building a business empire like Donald Trump, watching sports until I vomit, obtaining new things but, in the end, they won't matter and there's not a chance I'll be remembered.

I think about Michael Jackson. He died a week or so ago. We're so enthralled by his life right now, but he'll be vaguely remembered in 100 years and he's supposedly an American Icon. We may remember his music or little facts like that, but what was Jackson all about? What did he live for?

Tell the message of Christ to someone and help them mature in Him, then God alone will reward you and maybe your impact will be greater. I don't want my kids thinking life is about trinkets, fun sports and all about the money. If I can teach them that Christ came to give us life, then maybe they'll see a fuller life and pass that down to their kids. I'm sure I'll stumble alot but I want my "legacy" to relate to the power of Christ and what He has done for me rather than what I did for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment