Thursday, July 2, 2009

Where is our hope?

I have been boggled by that question lately. What am I hoping for? Where am I looking for hope?

As I watch so many Americans lately, it is amazing that we think one man can change the whole world, give us all hope. How many signs have you seen about "there is hope". It's as if hope didn't exist prior to the 2008 election.

When I lost my job, this thought arose. I have been putting too much hope in the economy and secondary things. I put my hope in a boss who I could trust. I put my hope in my salary to pay for the new house.

This week, I began to think of the worst thoughts. How will I provide the money for bills in a few months when savings disappear? How can I ever trust someone so seemingly trustworthy? A thousand questions came.

Then I heard this song we sing at The Village. It just reminded me that my hope needs to always be in God. Why would I put my hope in someone who is a sinner like me? Why would I even think that hope can be found in anything but Him? I always have to be reminded that life is not about houses, jobs and other secondary things. It's about living for Him. My hope is that I will continue to put my hope in my Savior, the one who provided me life for eternity and a purpose-filled life on earth.

When we put our hope in man, we set ourselves up for failure. Man looks out for himself. Man does what man thinks is best. Man does what is in his best interest. How much more is it worth it to put our hope in the God who created everything? When we put our hope in a man, things go sour and we blame man and panic. When we give ourselves to Him and things don't work out, we know there's a purpose for all of it.

Instead of putting my hope in the day that I will finally find a job, I need to put my hope in God that he will provide and give me direction to find the job he's already designed for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment